The GitLab service of the Developer Hub is currently an "beta" offering. The beta phase follows the alpha phase. In the beta phase of a service we:
- Ensure that the service is ready for a wide-scale roll out.
- Allocate resources for on-going support and maintenance of the service.
- Investigate integration with other University services.
- Identify which services could be replaced or merged into this service.
- Open the service to all who need it.
- Refine the shape of the final "live" service.
As part of the transition from alpha to beta we have
- identified funding sources which can support the costs of the service on an on-going basis,
- developed a prototype service,
- ensured that appropriate data integrity mechanisms are in place,
- automated the release and upgrade of the service, and
- developed operating procedures to support user queries.
By the end of the beta we aim to determine:
- Features which are required as part of the "live" service.
- Whether those features have been implemented in the service.
- Who is using the service and whether the service meets their needs.